Choosing Travel Insurance

Good travel insurance is important no matter whether you are planning long stay globe trotting, a 2 week holiday in Spain or a short break in Scotland. Although some countries have reciprocal health care agreements with the UK, this does not cover all the other aspects of travel insurance and may not even cover all the aspects of health care.

It is most important to be aware of your travel insurer’s attitude to any pre-existing health condition before you plan your holiday. Most will require notification and may impose additional charges or restrictions on your travel insurance policy.

Some credit cards and bank accounts may offer travel insurance. It is important that you check the conditions of such cover and that the travel insurance policy is adequate for your needs.

E111/EHIC Since 1st January 2006, the E111 has been replaced by the European Health Insurance Card – EHIC. This is free of charge to UK residents and should be used in conjunction with travel insurance when visiting most European countries. The EHIC will not cover repatriation to the UK. You can apply for your EHIC online at EHICs are not available for Isle of Man and Channel Islands residents.

Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance covers any number of holidays taken during a 12 month period. The duration of such trips is usually limited to 31 days on each occasion. If you plan any trips of a longer duration, Single Trip cover is likely to be more appropriate. Winter sports cover may or may not be included in an Annual Insurance Policy, so be sure to check. Most holiday insurance companies can offer Annual Multi Trip cover for a single individual, a couple or a family. Family Annual Travel Insurance may prove to be the most cost effective. Be sure to check age limits on Annual Travel Insurance Policies.

Single Trip Holiday Insurance may be the best choice for those who travel only occasionally or for older travellers as age restrictions are often less severe. Again, it is usually possible to arrange Family Single Trip Travel Insurance, Travel Insurance for a couple or Travel Insurance for an individual tailor made to suit your holiday plans. Winter sports cover and cruising may cost extra.

Long stay travel insurance is the choice for those lucky enough to spend more than 2 or 3 months at a time away from home. Long stay holiday insurance cover is available for up to 12 months at a time if required and should be a major consideration for those planning a gap year of travel.


Click Here for Insurance